Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, June 13, 2008

Meet Shelby!






I'd like to introduce you to our newest family member, Shelby. She (he?) is a black swallowtail caterpillar well on her way to becoming an adult butterfly. My friend Tyree found her in her garden and sent her home with Hannah, along with a year's supply of fennel, which is disappearing much, much more quickly than I had anticipated (We've got the black poop balls to prove it!).


Hannah carries her bug hut around everywhere. I'm praying Shelby doesn't die. The good news is that these caterpillars, if left alone in the wild, have only a 3% chance of making it to adulthood (butterfly). So perhaps we've actually saved her life. I'll post more pictures if she lives!

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelby is a beautiful caterpillar. Wow, Hannah, you are growing up so much,even kissing Shelby. I remember when you were really little and afraid of bugs. Good for you my wise and wonderful granddaughter.

Love,
Grandma

Melissa said...

Shelby is too cute...what a great addition to an already beautiful family! I am so glad to hear you all are doing well. When are you going to visit us in Florida? We need Delaney & Brooke to meet. We miss you all! Much love.

Linda said...

I think it's time Shelby had a bath. You can bring her by our house any time for a good soaking. :) Linda